Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Danvers Chemical Explosion

So, did you sleep well?

Not really, a chemical plant exploded and blew out all my windows.

I live within a mile of the chemical plant that lit up Danvers, Massachusetts, and the 3 am blast nearly knocked me out of bed. It was like a nuclear bomb had gone off in my backyard.

My windows were blown in and there was a weird glow outside like dusk, or a solar eclipse, only with an eerie red tinge. Just across the river, where the chemical plant once stood, there rose 300 feet into the sky a mushroom cloud. It's no wonder that people thought we were under attack... it's World War III, and they ARE nuking small town America, just like "The Day After" said they would! Only no Steve Guttenberg running around like an idiot.

People wandered the streets checking to see if their neighbors were alright. Closer to the blast zone, those wandering the streets were the walking wounded. It was a surreal experience.

Every house on my street sustained significant damage, although given that some people felt the blast as far away as New Hampshire (20 miles away), I'm more surprised that some houses within a half mile of the blast are still standing.

I suspect that a gas or propane leak was to blame, but no conclusions have been reached by the authorities. Even with all this incredible destruction, not a single person seriously injured. Go figure. What a difference not having Steve Guttenberg around can make, huh?